Training and Champions
Why is this important?
“There’s that many people doing that many different things and people don’t understand what telehealth’s about; they don’t see it as important.”
“With any change you’ve always got a little bit of resistance ... but I think its sort of just explaining the benefits of it ... the benefits to the patient and the benefits to the staff.”
What are the key steps?
- Provide on-going training and support for the practice of delivering care remotely as well as how to use equipment and technology
- Establish dedicated local telehealth champions to engage staff and help share and spread success
- Work in partnership with frontline staff to address emerging barriers to adoption
IDEAS FOR STAFF TRAINING AND SUPPORT
HAVE A DEDICATED CONTACT FOR SUPPORT
SHARE GOOD PRACTICE
USE LOCAL CHAMPIONS
LEARN THROUGH EXPERIENCE
SHARE PATIENT STORIES
Key topics to cover in staff training
- How do I know if a patient is suitable for telehealth?
- How do I refer a patient?
- How do I review a patient to know if they are benefiting from telehealth?
- How long should I use telehealth with a patient for?
- When and how do I discharge a patient from telehealth?
- How do I introduce telehealth to patients?
- What is the process for taking consent from patients?
- How long does it take for telehealth to be installed?
- Who will install telehealth and provide training and technical support?
- What monitoring can I do with telehealth?
- How do I tailor monitoring to individual patients?
- How do I set and change parameters (e.g. patient’s weight range)?
- Can I change how frequently patients are monitored?
- Who do I contact with technical queries?
- What is the process for monitoring patients and responding to alerts?
- How do I access patient readings and trends?
- How do I share this information with other clinical providers?
- When do I need to look at patients’ readings or alerts?
- How will I know if a patient needs clinical input or is deteriorating?
- What do we enter on the patient electronic record about telehealth?